Saturday, February 2, 2013

Travelling with the old phone

Samsung phone screen capture collage
The old Samsung phone might be almost 6 years old (or more, I'm not too sure anymore), but it's still working.
It does not have a QWERTY keyboard (which makes texting horribly difficult), nor wifi (which kinds of make it a dumb phone), yet whenever I travel overseas, this is the phone that I would bring.
And that shot up there is the reason why.

Samsung screen capture: Hong Kong Island skyline

I am not too sure if Samsung still do this, but when I got this phone, the default 'theme' was this theme, which features the city skyline/famous landmark of the country you are in. I believe the display changes according to the information pulled from the local network. When there is no network available, it will just show a plain field under the blue sky.

Samsung phone screen capture: Singapore Merlion

Even better, the display also changes according to the time of the day. At night, the sky would turn dark, and the buildings (if there is any) will be lit accordingly.
The wonder does not stop there. Should there be any text message, depending on your settings, it would first vibrate/beep/make the message notification sound. On the display, there might be either an airplane pulling a streamer across the sky (in the afternoon setting) or fireworks (night setting).
I mean, how cool is that?

Samsung phone screen capture: Malaysia Petronas towers

But of course, the point with bringing the phone overseas has more to do with picture than other whistle and bells.
So Singapore (where I bought the phone) was represented by the Merlion. No surprises, although I could have sworn there used to be the Esplanade building behind as well.
Hong Kong, the Hong Kong island skyline.
Malaysia, KL's Petronas twin towers.
Also no pictured here was Indonesia (Budha statue from Borobudur Temple. Quite an interesting choice given the majority of the population is Muslim), and US (Liberty Statue, what else?).

Then come the last picture...

Samsung phone screen capture: Philippines beach house

Any guesses? I did idly wondered about what the picture will be when I was coming here. So... well... I guess they ARE supposedly quite famous for their beaches.
Well... anyway, if you still can't tell, try placing your mouse over the image for the answer.

As for me, I am still wondering how long this phone would last me. After all, I do wonder what kind of pics would they pick to represent so many other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment