Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Double take

After 1 year plus settling into this place we are currently calling home, there are still times when I walked around and see things that made me did a double take.
Like... this one in front of the church, after mass:

Priest in full vestment blessing a car
Ahem.
I suppose, it kind of make sense. As a Catholic myself, on paper if not really practicing nowadays, I am quite familiar with the tradition of blessing one's new home, or even the same old home after some major work is done. But blessing a car? That's new. Never seen this one before.

Banner at the Gate
There would also signs everywhere that make me kind of feel that despite English being the official national language, they might speak a 'different' English, with their own set of vocabulary.
I don't know about you, but there is something that makes me somewhat uncomfortable with the labeling of people as 'retaker'. 
And yes, the spellchecker just confirmed my suspicion that there is not such word as 'retaker' in its database. Hmmmm......

Notice in front of an office
And at some other times, it's just bad English, plain and simple.
No office? So... are they saying that on that particular date, the office would just disappear into a third plane or something? How about, office will be closed, or simply we will be closed, instead?

But of course, the picture below is the best, and found in a government office, no less.

Men's Head?

No further comments necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment