Friday, August 12, 2011

Inspirational Eye Candy on the cheap: IKEA catalogue

I was hoping to be able to write something useful everyday during this 'celebration' period.
But over-thinking the possible array of useful topics kind of kill the momentum.
Until this one landed on my (figurative) doorstep:

When I finally graduated from living in students' accommodation to sharing a bonafide apartment with friends in Singapore a few years back, this catalogue came into the mail box very much to my delight.
I had heard of the store then, but had never been there.
This catalogue was actually sent out to every single mail addresses in Singapore free of charge.
In fact, if you don't receive yours, you can actually register your address at the shop to ensure that you'll get a copy the next time they do the distribution.
All discussion about costs, marketing effectiveness yada yada yada aside, I adored having my own (well... shared) free interior design magazine in the house.
Not to mention the fact that back in Singapore, should you find something you like, you can just take the most convenient form of transport to the nearest branch to grab them.

Now that I am no longer living within easy reach of one (4 hours by plane to the nearest branch, either in HongKong or Singapore does NOT qualify as easy, yes?), I guess I'm stuck with drooling all over the pages.
Not that I even get a hardcopy of the said catalogue.

So here's the thing. These catalogues are actually available online!
By simply going to the IKEA website, you can either ... well... you can view it online, you can download the pdf file, or you can even download a mobile version of it for your ipod or ipad (lucky you).

Just some simple tips: the link I gave would actually bring you to the main Ikea page, in which you can chose your location. The pricing listed on the catalog would actually be published according to local currency, so.. if you maths is like mine, you'll go with the most convenient location for you.
I went with the US one, since the US dollars is used quite a lot here in the Philippines, and especially in the various Freeport Zones.
Here's how the US site looks like:


 To get the PDF catalog, you need to scroll all the way down until you see this part shown below:

 You see the right bottom corner there? It says catalog & brochures. Gold mine!
At the viewing page, there will be an option to save the said catalog into your computer.
If you're a hoarder like me, I guess you'll do that.

Alternatively, strewn around the main US page is the advertisement for the mobile catalog, which you might want to download instead of the PDF version. Just don't ask me about that one.
Not only I don't know much about mobile internet (mostly stuck at home with my computer here), I might just not be able to contain my jealous side about you owning iPad/iPod/such mobile gadgets. Haha...

On a last note, if you are a fan, do grab a copy of the catalog while they are available. The catalogs are only downloadable in full from the Ikea website until the launch of the following year's catalog. I still have my old copies from 2008 and 2009 as hardcopy, but I do wish I had the softcopy since the Little One had made a fast work of one of the covers. Arr!

That's it for my today useful content. I hope you find it useful.
Now go and enjoy your new 'free' interior design magazine cum catalog!

No comments:

Post a Comment