Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend and The Week

I think I have written somewhere that, unlike most people, I don't like weekends.
Weird? Well, maybe it has to do with the nature of my job last time. Working in the restaurant, I don't get weekends off like most people working in the office (which was the majority in Singapore, I suppose).
But that did not bother me as much as the workflow during the weekend itself.
The company I worked for being situated strategically at the busiest shopping area in Singapore, business considerably picks up during the weekend.
I can tell you it makes for a pretty stressful, tiring weekend.
And it affects me so much that I even do NOT enjoy having my off days during weekend as places are generally more crowded, public transport is also more crowded, people's temper are shorter, etc etc etc.

Now that I do not work, I still don't like weekend.
I prefer the quiet, the ordinariness of weekdays,
The fact that most services are available (government services, cheap health services, even discounted spas), my helper is here to relieve me from babysitting.
I find that I can rest better during the weekdays, both in the past and now.
Well, actually my helper does come on Saturday, but that's only because I have classes on Sat nowadays, and classes do not really count as rest, ya?

In any case, it did feel like a pretty busy week, and I can share you quite a bit about it if you want.

We called up the real estate management to prune both the coconut trees in front and at the back of the house since the Little One loves to play outside now. It won't do to have a coconut falling around, or (God forbid) on her while she's playing, now would it? I did not manage to take pics while the men were working, but here are the results:

A bunch of coconut in the drying area.

I know you can actually use them to make coconut milk, but I don't really cook those stuff, you know. My helper might take them. Our neighbour's gardener actually helped us to cut the young ones with the juice and tender meat, and we feasted on them that day. Well, me and the Husband, that is. The Little One puckered her mouth after a sip and refused to have anymore.

They also cut some of the old leaves and ALL the baby coconuts, anything that is likely to fall, I guess. The pruning leaves the coconut trees looking somewhat bald and diminished, poor things, but it's better them looking like that than having a potential disaster hanging over my daughter.

The best part of the pruning process is yet to be revealed: the Dog found toys!

Some of the coconut actually fell with a bit of bark on top. You know the stringy bits that connect all the coconuts together. I think they developed from the flower stems. (I'm sorry, I haven't done my homework research on coconut, so I'm still as ignorant as the guy next door, figuratively)

You see the Dog with her prize?

In fact, she got quite a few coconuts for toys, some for chewing, and some really old but small ones for playing fetch.
Even the Little One got really excited when I threw the coconut and the Dog ran to fetch it.

Of course, it is possible that the Dog was not really fetching it to me as much as fetching it for herself to be chewed on. I just happened to intercept her as she tried to bring the coconut into the house.

Of course that was the Little One in the background. And these are her shoes on the right.

As mentioned before, she loves playing outdoor nowadays. That means calling for her shoes to be brought first thing in the morning when she came down from her room. Thank God for our outdoor furniture, at least sometimes she would let me sip my coffee in relative peace as long as she can run around outside.

The Dog? She would be out too, sunning herself. And I thought only cats do that. Hmmm....

I have not done much crafting this past week, except for a tiny weeny bit of sewing and crocheting a new pattern. Remember the yummy colored yarns in the last post? This is the pattern that I am trying, plus a little bit of sewing done while watching the workmen prune the coconut trees.

Hihihihi....

I'm really glad that the sheep turned out pretty well, and by that I meant it was recognizable by the Little One. She said, BAAaaa....

So it was good.

I guess there was probably a time when I tried to do fantastic looking drawing, a creative concept, or just some complicated craft. Today, I go for something recognized by the Little One. It's my one lofty goal nowadays.

Well, I know her vocabulary is still limited. It's OK, so I can practice to draw sheep, flowers and balloons better before moving on to more complicated stuff. Hahaha...

Anyway, just some final rambling before I have to go back to the needy Dog and the ever demanding Daughter, I have been spending the weekend looking through blogs. Not quite blog-surfing as reading the older entries of two of my frequent reads (Thank you SouleMama and Attic24 for providing me many hours of pleasure reading as well as so many encouragement and inspiration).

Encouragement, because realizing that they have been in the blogging racket for many years, they did evolve from something that I hope pretty achievable by your truly over here.
Inspiration, in the things that I can do for my family as well as ways to better my blog.

I am currently toying with some ideas for the blog, an About page (still not quite sure what to write in it, and if it is worthwhile because a good one would have to have regular updates), maybe some blog reviews of blogs that I enjoy, features that I want to incorporate....
Hhh.... there are endless ideas, but only limited time during which I still have to filter the ideas, fine tune the concepts, organize, execute.......

One by one, one by one. In the meantime, be patient with me, ya? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment