Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jump-breaks

I suppose people blog to have an outlet for their creativity, as a personal expression.
I also suppose that there are many of us who are essentially teachers, even if we don't quite teach in the classroom.
There are so many blogs out there that provide with with all kinds of instructions, if you just but look for them.

I am not a teacher, but as a person who is currently enjoying what I do, I can understand that 'want' to share.
Or should I say need?

Well, whatever it is, you have been warned.
For today, I am sharing with you about 'how to use jump-breaks'.
I am pretty sure that, since it's a Blogger feature, Blogger would have its own tutorial or something about it.
But hey, it's all about personal expression, OK?
Besides, some people might never bother with instructions anyway.
So.
If you are interested, scroll on.
If not, I'm sure there are other things that can occupy your attention.


For Blogger user, the partial screenshot above should be quite familiar.
The circled icon is the one I shall refer to as the jump-break icon.
What it will do is basically cut your post at some point, like soon below, AND..... (click on the link to read more, ya)

Place the rest of the post in some other mysterious place which can be reached by clicking on the link that you just clicked.
Isn't that cool?

The usage should be pretty obvious. Basically you write to a certain point (usually to get the main point of  the post across), and then you click on the jump-break icon.
A mysterious line would appear on your editing screen, with your cursor suddenly below the line.
Whatever you write below the line would then be hidden in that mysterious place instead of the main page of your blog. This is usually where you write the rest of your post, with all the detailed explanation, and whatever embellishments that you want to provide.

Should you post pictures in the post, you might want to put some, if not all, before the break so that your reader would be able to see them and be interested in reading more. But that's really up to you as the editor of the blog.

As for me, I do find this feature COOL as it does reduce the amount that I need to scroll down in order to read the blog. After all, I may or may not find the whole content interesting. Maybe I am only interested in one or two posts, but scrolling down miles of ..... uninteresting (to me) content is quite... putting off. I love those blogs that use this feature. They made for a more economical use of my time online, which is important for me in managing my me-time. I am sure it's important to you too.

All jesting aside, I am posting this also as part of my 'learning something new everyday' motto.
I do hope that bloggers would always try to learn something new, or even come up with something new in order to improve the whole blogging experience.

So, do you like jump-breaks in the blogs you read? Would you use them yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment