Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Market day!

A good helper (housekeeper/maid/whichever term you might want to use) is always a treasure
They keep the house clean, they help you with taking care of the kids,
And you can get your me-time.
Well... or you can go for your full time work in peace, something that I might do in the future
But in the mean time, it's me-time for me

My housekeeper makes 5 visits for every 2 weeks. That's 2 weekdays every week and 1 Sat every fortnight, just in case the Husband and I wants to do some activities that precludes the Little One. That was indeed our main initial reason for hiring a housekeeper. We wanted to go kayaking sometime then. Can't possibly bring the Little One, hmm?

In any case, I usually have roughly to spend without the Little One.
(Don't be angry, Little One. It's not that I do not want to spend time with you, but Mummy needs some time away so that Mummy can remain sane. Besides, Mummy needs to buy groceries)
So I use the chance to go shopping.
Buying veggies, the main reason for the trip

Soya bean curd in a puny plastic cup.
Puny, but pretty convenient when you're holding on plastic bags, and cheap.
If you're thirsty, there's this soyabean curd seller
My transport from market to the freeport gate

And of course, there are snacks. Banana coated in sugar, anyone?
I love going to the market, and I do visit the market like at least once a week.
The main point is to get vegs and fruits, as these items I find are of better quality than those I can usually find in the supermarket. 
Bright red tomatoes, huge fresh carrots, fragrant herbs, friendly sellers who help you to pick the best fruit according to when you want to eat them.... Hmmmm... these are all things that you don't really find in the supermarket, I tell you.
And so I go to supermarket for my dry goods. They are within a freeport zone, so stuff are somewhat cheaper without the taxes. But for these... I go to the local market.

Of course, as you can probably tell from the pictures, the fruits and the vegs are not the only reason I go to the market. Haha... No indeed, siree. I love going to the market also because of the experience, and the market food!
The local market is the only place so far that I know where I can get the soyabean curd. It used to be everywhere in Singapore, but within the freeport? Hmmm... NONE.
And even if I do go to the market, sometime the seller can be quite an elusive thing. So... have to kind of depend on my luck for that.

And then there's those banana stuff. The canteen ... (no pictures for the time being, sorry)... the various traditional food... 
Nyam nyam.....

There are usually specialty stores that sell those type of food, both in Singapore and Indonesia, but here, I am afraid I only know the market. So the market it is.

I am an earthy kind of gal. I can go pretty native, or local. So I do use local means of transport as well. One, because I still haven't gotten my driving licence (still haven't learnt to drive, actually, the lazy me). Besides, two, we don't really have our own car. Three, taxis are WAY more expensive and I'm pretty stingy kind of gal. Anyway, it's really quite fun. There are usually young children in the market, eager to help me with my shopping bags for some money, so I don't really have to struggle a lot with my shopping, which is usually pretty heavy.

I do enjoy my market day. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment