Thursday, December 2, 2010

StudioKancil in Bali (part 1)

The Kancil
On our last holiday home, my mother presented the Little One with a batik patterned deer softie.
I love it, and I couldn't help seeing the possibilities it represent, especially when we got to this beautiful Villa where we spent the next couple of days.

I mean, a batik deer, a Balinese villa with all its curliesque plants, solid rock statues, beautiful hand-carved wood details.....

Well... without further a due, let me just present... StudioKancil.

The first photo here is the Kancil at the small service path near the kitchen.

On the wall outside the villa
Can you see the pink flowers? The Balinese people are very spiritual people. The flowers are very much a part of their lives as they are used for small offerings left near religious statues scattered all around the island. As such, there is absolutely no lack of flowery plants around. I loved it.

Entrance to our villa
The villa is actually part of a complex of a few villas available for rent. We took the one with 4 rooms given that there were 8 of us, including the Little One. This is the entrance of the villa. You see what I meant about the religious statue? That's Ganesha, in the middle, with the aspect of an elephant. I believe that he is the God of wisdom. In the morning when we came out of the villa, there would be small leaf basket with flowers on the pathway, an offering to the God. I did not manage to take pictures of those baskets, though. (An incentive to go back to Bali one day? I won't mind, haha)

A closer look

I don't know if you notice the door frame. It's gorgeous, what with the carvings on top of the doorway. It's not the most practical door frame, especially with that raised part at the bottom, but it's. absolutely. gorgeous. I love it. And I wish I would have a house incorporating the design one day. Not too sure about the statues, though, although the trees would definitely be a welcoming sight.
By the way, the Kancil almost perfectly mimic the Little One's reaction to the statues: wary. Thankfully the statue dominated only the doorway rather that placed in some central location within the villa itself. That might be a tad disturbing to the Little One.

Another doorway: to the kitchen
You see the gorgeous door frame again? This one is the kitchen door. 
And yes, I was holding the Kancil just so I can get a picture that include the TOP part of the door frame.

The Balinese villa is more like a compound of a few separate buildings (bedrooms, kitchen, dining area, living area) linked through an inner courtyard within the compound. There's even a swimming pool within the villa itself (!) which you will see in later photos. 
Kind of dangerous for a toddler, I know. Well.. but she survived unscathed. I think she already appreciated the potential danger of water and takes necessary precaution.

The swimming pool in the courtyard

Here's the swimming pool I was talking about, with the door of one of the bedroom opening towards it.
Yet another one of those nice, full length, glass doors with carved frames. 
And do you notice the abundance of plants? Kind of make it difficult to keep the pool clean, but beautiful.

The pool, viewed from the bedroom
The pool, the kitchen and the dining area, viewed from the bedroom door featured in the earlier photo.
On the far left is the living area where we have some sofa, a desk and a TV set. 
Of course, there were TVs in each bedroom as well.

The Kancil at the pool
I have not forgotten the Kancil. He's just not very useful for photos higher than 1m above the ground. However, I do love how his presence kind of give a perspective to the whole picture. Not to mention the fact that his batik accent just blend in with the Balinese design giving the whole picture a uniquely Indonesian flavor.

Mama!
Aa! I guess the Little One got fed up with Mama monopolizing her Kancil.

I suppose I can stop here first and continue later with the rest of the photos. Not only the post length is slightly more manageable, I think it's also time for me to prepare lunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment