Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Long Story of a Short Little Dress

A short little dress
(This is kind of long winded. You have been forewarned)
Before the Little One was born, obviously I don't know much about birthing, the recovery, etc etc. So when the kind nurse gave me a list of things to be brought to the hospital during the delivery, I just followed the list blindly.
Included in the list was: a couple of daster (aka sleeping gown) with front opening, which I do not have.
So off I went with my mother, hunting for the so called item.

I found one with the pattern above. I liked the color and the pattern on the fabric.
As we bought it in the market, however, I did not get to try it. (Trying an item of clothing in the hot, stuffy market while you're 8 months pregnant, EEee! I passed. Never mind)
So it turned out that, although cool and comfortable, the piece really make me look like a giant of epic proportion.
Hmmm.....

Luckily, that was not the only piece that we bought, and the rest... looked better. Like for example, this one:
Me with big tummy
(While looking for this photo, I realized that this is practically the only photo of me with big tummy. Hhh... such a wasted opportunity. Need to do better with the next pregnancy. When the time comes.)


Anyway, the gowns were perfect for the stuffy hot weather, so I went on wearing them in the house. I guess it was also a factor that I couldn't fit into my shorts and most of my clothing then (or even months after the baby bump was already gone)

Now that the Little One is quite big, however, I can't be going around looking like giant of epic proportion, right? So I chucked some pieces, until inspiration struck to modify the gown into a dress of the Little One.
Err...  the inspiration came slowly, from quite a few sources. I think the Purl Bee blog was one source of inspiration, but I can't quite remember the exact post. In any case, there was no pattern involved. Just some snip snip, some ( a LOT of!) handsewing (cos I don't have a sewing machine), many many many days after I started... voila!

Front view
To be honest, I am not really too sure about the whole construction (the cut, the stitches). I think the cut is wonky and sewing... hmmm... the least said the better.
But hey, it's the first piece of wearable garment that I've ever sewn. Ever!
The Little Girl likes it.
AND, even her Daddy said it was brilliant (the design, which is not mine. Still. I'm not fussy about little things like that, ya?).

I still haven't gotten a decent picture of the Little One in the dress. So.... you'll just have to do with this one. Now, I shall go back to things that I need to do.
Let's see, exam preparation... or Christmas presents?
Ah... decision decision decision....

Dreaming of new dress

No comments:

Post a Comment